Monday, May 29, 2006

Mud, blood, sweat and beers

Hello blog. Long time no see huh? It’s been pretty quiet around here aside from the occasional heavy metal concert, the odd swim and a party or two.

Yesterday a grand time was had by all who attended the annual Gatalympic events in Kashima. Everyone on the bloated ALT team performed to a remarkably high standard and a fine display of sportsmanship was displayed by all. I only had my short shorts to wear so the evening before I decorated my shiny white, yet well muscled, legs with all manner of black decorations and fighting Kanji, of course being ably assited by Fumiko in this aspect. The mud, thick and greasy as ever, clambered into every crevasse at the moment of impact into its mire some depths. Highlight of the day was helping pull Dabs up from the mud, only to pick her up and throw her back in once she was on dry land.

Five minutes later I was waist deep in mud, in a repeat of last years all out war, when I felt and odd sensation down around my ankles. Wearing my gloves this year, I reached down and pulled out a broken, twisted beer can. Damn.

Sweet, sweet irony ensued as only forty-eight hours after having Joe tell me about the amount of untreated waste water (not sewerage) that runs into the Ariake sea I got tagged up right mean by debris hidden a meter under the mud. Thus my day in the actual mud was cut quite short. Can’t help bad luck I suppose. Showered twice, went to the aid station, got sprayed with stuff. Still had a good day though, sitting around on the steps, drinking beer and catching up with people.

Koreans can cheer quite loudly as we found out. Watching our women folk compete in the ladies only mud wrestling tournament, we found ourselves seated next to about twenty Korean guys watching as well. So we, as somewhat relaxed foreigners as well, joined the cavalcade of chants and songs they displayed. In the center middle of a few thousand sedate Japanese families watching the mud Olympics, there was the smallest, loudest crowd of drunken Koreans, English, Kiwi’s, Australians, Americans and Canadians. It was like transplanting a little piece of a cup final into a chess crowd. Was seen to at the hospital later on in the day, thorough cleaning out of the leg with metal things and bits of swab, sticky skin patches and a three day course of pills. I just love dripping pus, so it’s working out fine. As another bonus, the biggest cuts run straight through some of the Kanji characters I had written on my leg for the day, the ones for 'fighting spirit'. looks cool.

Just before posting this I receieved a phone call. On a sadder note, I have just been informed that the section chief, Nakahasi, one of my uber-bosses at the board of education passed on yesterday morning. May he find rest, the wake is tomorrow evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home