Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Autumn. Nice

The sun creaks slowly into view these mornings and it arrives later and later each day. Every morning my house is progressively one shade darker on waking than it was the day before. Kashima’s streets are littered once more with the detritus of its tree’s. The sun seems to wield one tenth of the power it possessed a few short months ago. The other day while sipping plume wine in a park in Fukuoka a small bat flew down from the trees and flew in circles in front of me for a few minutes.

It’s the time of the year when I am asked on a daily basis if I am cold. Maybe I’ve mentioned this here before, but it’s such a regular occurrence when you don’t begin to wear sweaters and long sleeve shirts at the same time as everyone else. I just don’t feel the cold as much as the average Japanese person does, so I am still comfortable during the day wearing a t-shirt. This is out of line with the Japanese tradition of changing ones entire daily wardrobe into winter attire as the seasons change.

Lantern festivals at shrines. Thousands of intricately carved bamboo shafts with small tea light candles placed in the bottom are arrayed in huge designs. Personally I found them to be evoking of circular cityscapes. Walking into the hills in the dark and finding a line of lanterns on each side of the ground leading up into the dark of the hill side. Lights a thousand small creeping glow worms march upwards into the night.

Autumn.

Nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home