Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hoops

Thinking about education is weird. I have been trying to design a listening activity for students who have only just started learning English and I just can’t focus on it right now. One of those moments where you sit there, examining the syllabus, that concrete wall, trying to craft together a concept that will highlight the main point of the lesson, yet give you some room to teach something a bit more original or interesting. I just keep wandering off topic this morning having read too much news when I arrived at work this morning.

Bits of the weekend keep on slipping into my mind, images and sounds. A teacher comes over to me and jokes about using my mouth as the pencil-sharpening machine. I tell him I’m not hungry right now. Try to concentrate on the lesson plan again and within a few minutes find myself wondering if my sub average game on the BF2 servers last night will radically effect my slowly increasing score per minute statistic of 1.12.

Focus back on the lesson and start laying down ideas, find myself wandering all over the book, looking at various bits of Japanese and realizing I know a little bit more than I did a few weeks ago. Some of the Kanji even look familiar. I’m trying to express a sentiment concerning the dotting of an I and the crossing of a t, yet I can’t for the life of me remember how to turn of auto-correct on a Japanese language machine to express a simple lower case I, the machine capitalizes them.

Sometimes it’s still strange when after years of jumping through hoops in the tiny wide broad small world of educational institutions, someone turns around and lets you hold the hoop for a while. It’s the ring master who I’m concerned about however.

Shelve lesson planning for this afternoon. Eat a mandarin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home